Friday, February 3, 2012

Test Time

The next week ahead will hold a couple of tests for me! I have 25 exciting months being a wife under my belt. I've been a puppy deliverer, a cupcake baker, a Pinterest addict, a jewelry maker, a wannabe photographer, a sewing-beginner, a laundry sorter, a mover/unpacker, an aunt, a cake decorator, and homeless. But is that enough to embark on 2 large tasks in the same week that I'm mildly panicked about? Doubtful.

1. COOK-TO-IMPRESS-AND-NOT-EMBARASS
Wednesday I am hosting the dinner for our Church Small Group. The small group I was hesitant to join because I knew my turn to host the meal would come around eventually. Pathetic. I know. But now it's here! And I'm fighting the urge to either move away or become suddenly struck with an illness of non-cooking proportions. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH! Now, if it were a meal of cupcakes and beads, I'd be set, and wouldn't even break a sweat, but a DINNER? Like a whole MEAL? Cooked well? For 8-10 people? Ummmm.... this will be interesting. I've only ever "cooked" (and by cooked I mean, rotated the same 3 meals my husband manages to choke down) for 2 people EVER. Now I'm increasing my portions and have not the slightest clue HOW plus making sure it's good enough to not be that meal that people sneak dinner in before??!! Sigh. Freaking out.

2. HOST-A-SHOWER-AND-DON'T-CRY-OR-DISAPPOINT
Then, the following weekend I will be hosting a Wedding Shower for a Bride-to-be cousin, by myself! Wedding Showers are a Bride's first taste of being the center of attention, they're like Christmas, and lame if not planned well. No pressure cousin-of-the-bride who volunteered to do this! Ha! Now, I'm a big girl, and have budgeted, brainstormed, and Pinterested plenty up to this point, but now that it's almost here, I'm having serious doubts of my party-planning abilities! Again, if Pinterest and puppies are all that's needed, I've totally got this. But when my perfectionist self plans 4 dessert options, perfectly coordinated colors, handmade favors, and strategically "hip" party games, the expectations set on myself are rather high.  If all doesn't go the way the Martha Stewart magazine I've laid out in my head for this shower is supposed to, I fear my reaction. I'm don't think I'm one of those women that pouts and actually cries when a party doesn't go as planned, but there's a first time for everything... *remembers dentist's office adventure*

Next week will definitely test the abilities I've humerously attempted the past couple of years as a wife. Cramming is required. This weekend I'm probably going to test some recipe's, start rounding up and making shower decor, google easy recipes for dummies, and brush up on my laundry and organizing skills... completely unrelated to my cramming session, but equally nessesary due to the neglect this week of worrying has accumulated.

Stand by for test results... they're sure to be entertaining... and probably 70% embarassing... Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thirty, Not Flirty, & Crying

I needed some time to fully process what took place last week. It was a sad and traumatic experience that I had MONTHS to prepare for. It ra...