Thursday, November 3, 2011

Fried Frozen Delicacy?

Now, I'm not sure if this is how it is for everyone, but grocery shopping in our household is quite an adventure. It's one of the ways I knew my husband was 'the one.' I wasn't the only one in the world that wanted a plan for taking on a Supermarket.

We approach our grocery shopping missions with tactical precision. It starts with a sweep of the empty cupboards, then a detailed list of missing edible comrades. The list is taken by troop location. Frozen goods - check. Dry ingredients - check. Non-perishables - check. Starches and guilty pleasures - check. All accounted for, and the ones that aren't, file in formation on my list. The list is then turned over to my husband, who maps out the most time effective route for our mission. And as any mature couple does... we place bets for who will guess the total loss of monetary provisions for the mission, and the loser unpacks our bounty. LOL! I almost always lose. I blame my optimism and lack of culinary knowledge. Fatal flaws for Mission: Grocery Shopping.

Now, our latest mission reached a point that I hadn't expected. My husband, while scowering the frozen food isle, recommended we place in our basket a food that I had not encountered since I was ten. At the sound of this food, memories flooded my mind with quick meals my working mother made, always with macaroni and cheese, and always a joy. Then I was flooded with the horror of actually at some point in my life having joy over a realitively healthy and yummy dish being cut up, mixed with only the Lord knows, rolled into logs, deep fried, frozen, and packaged to tempt my food-hunting husband. This Fried Frozen Delicacy? FISH STICKS.

Why on Earth would a person voluntarilly eat those things? I mean, as a kid, sure, they were great. Somehow it was cool (and not morbid) to imagine the animated fish on the box pointing at the nutritional values to be eaten in stick form, like french fries, or tiny corn dogs. It was cool? Really? It goes without saying that my husband's recommendation was denied. But what a terrible thought! I ate those?! pounds of them, I'm sure, in the unknowing days of my childhood. In hindsight - yuck! And Mother - what were you thinking?? Fish has plenty of vitamins and minerals that are good and good for you... but is there really even FISH in fish sticks?? And if there is... why in the world would you blend it up, batter it, fry it, FREEZE it, and call it a meal. Nay. It is not a meal. It is a science experiement that prays on hard working single parents, college students, and newlyweds to mislead and destroy. Not in our home Fish Sticks. Nice try.

I just felt that the world should know my new detest for a childhood treat. And my prayers go out to all of those who allow that nonsense to grace their freezers... God be with you. ; )

*Please note that this blog is a satire, and my mild exaggerations and rants are in good fun and not to personally attack any fish stick eaters out there.. but really... good luck with that*

2 comments:

  1. well I acctually like the unknown little species they put in stick form and I miss fixing them for you. :). Come on over!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol used to likem when I was wee younger but ever touched them when I hit the age 13

    ReplyDelete

Thirty, Not Flirty, & Crying

I needed some time to fully process what took place last week. It was a sad and traumatic experience that I had MONTHS to prepare for. It ra...